- 1 fennel bulb with frond attached
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- Freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
1) Trim and discard stems of fennel bulb. Finely chop fennel fronds (green leafy tops) and place aside. Slice the fennel bulb lengthwise into ~1/2 inch pieces.
2) Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown, not burn, fennel on all sides, about 5 minutes total.
3) Reduce heat to low and add white wine to deglaze pan. Also add a healthy splash of water. Cover and cook until fennel is tender, about 8-10 minutes.
4) Remove from heat. Squeeze half a lemon over fennel, season with salt and pepper. Finally, mix in some chopped raw fennel frond. If using, finish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Makes a great side dish for fish. Can also use for the base of a great pasta dish by adding other fresh seasonal vegetables.