Ingredients (serves 6-8):
1 bunch of kale, chopped coarsely
1 15 oz can of white beans, drained and rinsed
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese, grated
1 lb whole wheat pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to instructions or until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, bring a large skillet to medium-high heat. Once skillet is hot, add olive oil.
- When the oil is shimmering, add onions and pinch of cayenne pepper and saute until translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add kale and saute until soft, but still bright green.
- Add white beans and then the pasta and reserved pasta water. Simmer until the sauce has thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and grated Parmesan.